When it comes to consuming medical marijuana, cannabis card holders are often undeniably inventive. From smoking to vaping to tincturing and even juicing, it has never been easier for us to consume MMJ in a way that best suits our needs and preferences. Although all consumption methods have their advantages, none of them quite live up to the unrivalled tastiness of a medical marijuana edible – and believe us, things have become much more sophisticated than the trusty – but clichéd – pot brownie. With the advent of MMJ cards came more adventurous users, with more gastronomical inventive ideas than those dreamed up by stoner college kids in their dorms.
As all medical marijuana card holders know, different methods of consumption can have different levels of potency, kick-in wait times and effectiveness. For example, smoking MMJ compared to eating it can have vastly different effects as the active ingredients in the plant get absorbed by a completely different part of the body.
Typically, an medical marijuana edible takes a little bit longer to start working – roughly between thirty minutes to an hour. However, what it may lack in speediness, it more than make up for in longevity of effect, with the effects of edibles lasting between 4 to 12 hours depending on the dose.
As with any other type of cooking, it’s vitally important that you get the freshest cannabis for the tastiest results – some back alley weed bought from a local teen simply won’t cut it! To circumvent this, only ever buy from licensed depositories who will provide you with the freshest, most suitable MMJ once you produce your California medical marijuana card.
For all of these medical marijuana edible recipes you’ll need to know how to make cannabutter, the most important ingredient when it comes to making edibles. All you’ll need for an average amount is ½ cup of salted butter and ¼ ounce of cannabis buds that have been finely ground. The recipe goes like so:
- Melt the butter on low heat before adding the buds and simmering together for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Using a sieve, strain the mixture into a glass jar making sure to press the buds with the back of a spoon to get every ounce of MMJ goodness out of them and into your cannabutter.
- Use, refrigerate or freeze your mixture immediately
Now that you have your MMJ card and cannabutter sorted, we can get onto the good stuff…
The Ultimate in Ultimate MMJ Brownies
Clichéd or not, we couldn’t exactly talk about the best MMJ edibles without giving an honorable mention to the most famous medical marijuana edible of all. With worldwide debate on what exactly the best recipe is, we think we’ve nailed it with this one:
- 7 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons cannabutter
- 6 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Melt both butters over a medium heat before adding the chocolate until thoroughly mixed. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flour and baking powder.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in a separate bowl until fluffy. Add the chocolate mixture followed by the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Pour into greased 8-inch pan and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 25 minutes.
Indulge in a health kick with MMJ-infused granola bars
Granola bars are fast becoming the go-to snack for Californians due to their handiness, and more important, their tastiness! For a medical marijuana edible on the go, check out this recipe:
- Coconut oil spray
- 4-5 cups quick-cook oatmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup cannabutter, melted
- ⅔ cup honey
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2-cup mix of chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, raisins and coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 325F
- Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Spread evenly into a pan that has been pre-sprayed with coconut oil
- Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
Treat yourself with some cannabis infused peanut butter cookies
You’ve heard of PB & J right? Well how about PB & MMJ?! These delicious cookies are exactly what the doctor ordered:
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons cannabutter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 340F
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl
- Divide the mixture into 15 dough balls and place on a parchment covered baking tray
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
Indulge in some MMJ Mac and Cheese just like Mama used to make it – sort of!
Ok, this is a bit of a weird one but trust us, once you try this insanely good mac and cheese recipe, you won’t be able to imagine your life before it!
- ½ pound elbow macaroni or shells
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For cheese sauce
- 5 tablespoons cannabutter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ to 3 cups milk, warm
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella, grated (1 cup)
- 8 ounces medium cheddar, grated (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, (using canna-oil is optional)
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar, grated (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cook the macaroni as usual in a large pot of water and salt. Drain well.
- Melt the cannabutter in a saucepan before adding the flour to cook for five minutes, whisking constantly.
- Add the warm milk and cook for two minutes until thickened. Add the salt, cheese, pepper, nutmeg and paprika before finally adding the cooked macaroni. Stir well as separate out into ramekins.
- Mix the canola oil with the breadcrumbs and sharp cheese and sprinkle on top of the ramekins.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the macaroni on top is browned.
Before sinking your teeth in to one of these delectable recipes, it’s important to make sure you have your California medical marijuana card to avoid any issues with procurement and consumption. Once you get this sorted, pick which medical marijuana edible you’re going to enjoy, make your way down to Whole Foods with a bursting shopping list ready to start your new gastronomical adventure.