Smoking your medical cannabis is enjoyable and easy, and it certainly hits the spot. But sometimes it’s nice to put your California medical marijuana card to a more creative use and utilize your MMJ to make some sweet, psychoactive edible treats. In this article we will share 4 of our favorite recipes for medical marijuana edibles.
The base of all of these recipes, the ingredient that gives these treats their special allure, is cannabutter. So we will start off by describing how to make this vital ingredient.
Your cannabutter will only be as good as the medical marijuana that you make it with, so be sure to use your cannabis card to get a nice strain of herb. The stronger the weed, the stronger the butter.
Make sure that the weed you are using has been decarbed. If you use your California medical marijuana card to buy fresh leaf, you’ll need to decarb it yourself by putting the leaves on a baking tray and baking at 240 degrees, turning occasionally to ensure even heating, for about 40 minutes until the cannabis is dry and crumbly. Grind up the weed. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Use 4 sticks of butter for every ounce of medical cannabis. Once the butter has melted completely, add the dried and ground marijuana gently and gradually, stirring as you go. Once the weed is in turn the heat right the way down so the mixture is barely simmering. Allow it to stew away for anything from 1 to 3 hours, stirring regularly. When the mixture turns glossy and thick it is ready. Pour the mixture through a strainer into a heatproof bowl or plastic food container. Allow the cannabutter to cool at room temperature for an hour, and then place it in the fridge. Your delicious cannabis infused butter is ready to use in your medical marijuana edibles!
Cheeky Grandma’s Peanut Butter and Brown Sugar Cookies
These days a great many grandmas are the proud owners of a California medical card, and so they like to bake their traditional grandma-style cookies with a bit of a ‘twist’. If you meet the right grandma and get invited in for tea you might get to try some of ‘Cheeky Grandma’s Peanut Butter and Brown Sugar Cookies’, or now that you have the recipe you could just bake these medical marijuana edibles yourself. They taste better when eaten with a grandma though.
This recipe makes 15 cookies.
- 1 jar peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons cannabutter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 1. Heat the oven to 340 degrees.
- 2. Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl, and stir until smooth.
- 3. Divide the mixture into 15 equal portions, and flatten them out on a non-stick baking tray.
- 4. Bake the cookies until the edges have a touch of color. It should take 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Find a grandma to munch the cookies with.
Gluten-free Choc-Chip Mini Muffins
If you are anything like me and you become snotty, depressed, pimply and inflamed when you ingest wheat, these gluten-free muffins are the medical marijuana edibles for you!
This recipe makes 20 mini muffins.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cannabutter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix beaten egg, vanilla and sugar separately, and then gradually add the dry mix to this.
- Pour the mixture into mini muffin cups and bake until golden brown. This should take 20-25 minutes.
Frozen Berry Trifle
My mother always makes trifle at Christmas. I can usually take it or leave it. But if she acquired a 420 card and made this trifle I’d certainly be asking for seconds!
This recipe makes 4 servings of the medical marijuana edibles.
- 16 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons cannabutter, melted and cooled
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ cups trifle base cake, torn in small pieces
- 1 ½ cups strawberries, cut up small
- Mix the yogurt, cannabutter, blueberries and honey in a blender. Put 1/3 of the blueberry and yogurt mixture in a bowl and leave it in the fridge.
- Divide the trifle base cake among the four bowls. Pour the un-refrigerated 2/3 of the blueberry and yogurt mixture over the cake, and then freeze.
- Remove the mixture from the freezer and decorate it with the chopped strawberries. Pour the remaining blueberry and yogurt mixture on top, and freeze again.
- Before serving, allow to sit for 5-10 mins at room temperature, and top with whipped cream.
White Chocolate-chip and Peppermint Brownies
Brownies are the classic cannabis-infused treat. These particular brownies are a little different, they use white chocolate-chips and peppermint!
This recipe makes 24 servings.
- Two 20-ounce boxes of brownie mix
- 1½ cups white chocolate chips
- 1 8-ounce package of cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup cannabutter
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped peppermint candy
- Heat the oven to 340.
- In a large bowl, combine the two brownie mixes (follow the instructions on the packet), and stir in the white chocolate chips.
- Bake the brownies according to the instructions. Allow to cool at room temperature and cut into ‘brownies’.
- Use a mixer to blend the cream cheese, cannabutter, butter, vanilla and sugar. Mix until fluffy.
- Spread each brownie with the cream, and top off with crushed peppermint candy.